Monday, April 22, 2013

Finishing Up

Finalizing the art!
Dolphin Squadron

Today, I'm adding the final touches to the first game that I'm actually happy with and the second game that I've brought past prototype. The development of Dolphin Squadron has been pretty solid overall and it's definitely been a learning experience for myself and Siifour/ACPCP. I'll be writing up a postmortem soon and the game will be released sometime before May 1st. Hopefully it'll find itself an audience because I'm aiming for a ridiculous number of downloads--around ten to twenty. :P Haha.

[UPDATE]: I got pretty sick during finals week, so the new release date has been pushed back a little. I still hope to be done by May 1st, but a release may occur a little later.

What's Next?

So, now that Dolphin Squadron is nearly complete, I have to ask myself an important question: what's going to be next on my agenda? Honestly, I'm not sure. Realistically, I'm going to be diving headfirst back into Flash and AS3 development on a new project--one that actually needs to be finished before the end of 2013, but at the same time, I really, really want to write some things and develop some sweet stories.

So here are the possible games that I'll be working on this summer.

City Across the Sky
:D
City Across the Sky, in it's previous form failed as my first project, but in it's original form, it had a cool gameplay concept and a wonderful story that I'd like to maybe try again at some point. If I decide to do any work on this game, it'll probably just be a lot of writing and design stuff, as well as concept art and base mechanic prototyping. I refuse to work on this project again and fail, so I'll make sure to do it right if I come back to it.

Project Fall
Awesome stuff.
Project Fall is a prototype that I was working on to create solid platforming mechanics and gameplay that was influenced by weapon physics. I don't think I ever really talk about it in previous blog posts, but I was interested in making a game where each weapon would be useful for solving different types of puzzles. With the prototype, I didn't really end up doing that, but if I revisit the game, I'll definitely work on designing weapons in that vein. Additionally, I think that the mechanics would work in a variety of different game environments, so Project Fall may end up being a game made up of multiple games. I think that would be cool.

Boatventure 2013
Original concept artwork. The game assets look similar.
Boatventure 2013 is a game designed and "arted" during one of ACPCP's official Sleep Jams. The original concept was a protect-the-castle, mini-strategy type of game where you play as an upgradeable boat reeling up treasure from the seas while protecting yourself from enemy pirates, helicopters, etc. Having designed the game in a weekend, some of the design decisions aren't the best, so I'll probably redesign some portions of it over the summer, but ultimately, it's called Boatventure 2013, so I'd need to make it before the end of the year. Boatventure 2014 just doesn't have the same ring.

Voyage
Concept artwork. Game assets may be different.
Voyage is an interesting beast of a game that I may progress on during the summer. I'm not sure when I'm going to start actual development, but I'll probably work on something akin to a paper prototype and a public design document over the summer. Voyage is, in a sense, a project that I would like to keep developmentally public so that people can see how a game progresses from beginning to finish. If I do work on the game over the summer, updates will be frequent and hopefully detailed and personal. :D

So these are the games I plan to work on during the summer.

Expect Greatness
Ryan Huggins~



No comments:

Post a Comment