Monday, May 6, 2013

Dolphin Squadron: Final Moments

A little Gurren Lagann is never a bad thing. :P
It's been an entertaining run, but it's finally coming to a close. Dolphin Squadron is officially in it's final stages and will be ACPC Production's first game. That's pretty fucking exciting to me! The game's been in active development for four out of the last eight months and I'm happy to say that the end-product is actually pretty fun. It is also brutally difficult at times, but the controls were partially an experiment and I think they were successful overall.

DOLPHIN SQUADRON :D
IT IS DONE. :D
Over the coming days, I'll be writing up a postmortem for Dolphin Squadron and the development of a student game as a freshman; and, in general, I'll be trying to get Dolphin Squadron some publicity.

SPEAKING OF WHICH. When I put the game up at Tigsource for usability testing a week or two ago, Indiegames.com picked it up and wrote a small thing about it. For a team of college freshmen with very little marketing experience and a desire to just improve, not really to make popular games, it was nice to know that our game was at least a cool enough of a concept/execution for a game journalist to pick it up. :D It also gave a bit of a motivation boost to the team and was great for me to use to inspire the game developers around campus who want to make games, but don't feel like they're good enough!

Regardless. I put this final stuff into the game yesterday at 11:57 PM and that means that the game now goes into a recluse state for about a week or so. During this time, I will be catching up on some ARTING and then later on, competing with my team for the rest of the summer to expand our worlds (for Project Clusterfuck) through web-comics. I'll also be making two games in AS3.

Orphan Adventure Game
A short RPG with a Forum Adventure art style. :P
One of our artists was having a bit of an issue actually getting art done for awhile, due to a variety of reasons, and as such, I had to intervene. He wanted to make something with a fun, quirky theme and a somewhat unusual art style for games. Enter Orphan Adventure Game, an RPG about orphans rising up and, uh, saving the world? defeating the evil ice cream man? We're not quite sure yet to be honest, but I'm designing and programming the game, while Matt Barrett is coming up with the concept and will be doing art and such. We're both writing it.

Boatventure 2013
Gotta get to work on this. Haha
After Orphan Adventure Game, I reaaaally need to get to work on Boatventure 2013. Jack Storm, one of our programmers working on a sweet secret SRPG project I designed, told me that I had like, 270 days or something to make the game. I figure if I spend like a month or two making Orphan Adventure Game, I'll be able to finish Boatventure in time. :X Let's hope, otherwise the name will be changing slightly!!! D:

Expect Greatness~
Ryan Huggins.



2 comments:

  1. Interesting game. Graphics great, stylish. I love pixel art and love the genre shmup. I hope you will finish it.

    Sorry for my curve English :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Sorry, I never got a notification for your comment, but thanks so much! It's more or less complete, so we're just doing minor promotional stuff. :)

      Delete